For those who have heard SEO but do not know what it means, it’s an acronym for Search Engine Optimization. It means optimizing your site for greater chances on appearing on Search Engine Result Page (SeRP). This is the primary goal of every website owners. It may sound simple but definitely requires attention and dedication to make it work in your advantage. It can either improve or damage reputation of a websites’ performance. It’s an Internet Marketing strategy that analyzes how Search Engine work and how people behave.
There are two types of SEO, on-page and off-page optimization. The on-page optimization is improving the elements within your site. This includes:
<TITLE>Title that you would like to appear on SeRP</TITLE>
<META CONTENT=”description of the content”>
<META CONTENT=”keywords separated by comma “>
- Content – content should written based on relevant keywords.
- Title Tags –appears on the top portion of the code of your page.
- Meta Tags –not required though it allows detailed description of your site. The most commonly abused tag is the keyword meta-tag. Google in fact recently mentioned that they do not use keyword to rank in web search result, other Search Engine still does. People have used it to spam search engines. However, meta-description is still used as snippet in SeRP for Google.
- Title and Alt Attributes – describes text links and images.
- Internal Linking – linking within the site
- URL Structure
Off-page optimization is on the other hand is any method done off-page to maximize performance, such as:
- Link Development – backlinking, link exchange etc.
- Article Marketing – article distribution
- Social Media Marketing (SMM) – Facebook, Twitter etc.
- Search Engine Marketing (SEM) – paid listing
- Pay Per Click (PPC Campaign) – AdWords etc.
There are numerous techniques to optimize site off-page, the above mentioned are just list of commonly used strategies. Both methods complement each other.
Although different SEO expert has their own opinion which is better used to optimize websites. In my opinion, no matter how optimize the pages of your site is, without proper and continuous off-page optimization effort your SEO campaign may not be as successful as you thought it would be.
Additionally, you may implement both but still you will wonder why your site does not appear on the first page of SeRP, don’t be frustrated, there are more factors to consider including the number of years you have been in the web. There is no road map to follow in SEO – not because everybody is doing it, you should as well. One example is your Twitter and Facebook account, it’s one that is mostly talked about, everybody is doing but there are many things to consider before jumping in to Social Media Marketing.
Before doing anything always remember that every move you make could either break or make the best out of your business. SEO may be simplified in layman’s term but it’s not for everybody to chew. Experimenting on techniques and keeping up to date with the current trend is one of the factor behind SEO success.